July 08, 2014


The second part of the kombucha-making process.  If you're confused, you can read the first part of the post here:  Growing a Scoby

Day 1 of scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) growing in a large-sized Bick's pickle jar:

Mixed-media piece in the background by Guinevere :-)

The scoby is getting bubbly on day 3:

Day 5:  cheesy, slimy goodness:

On day 8, the scoby is thick and juicy enough for a second feeding!  I will add more sugar to make it grow even more. 

After boiling four cups of water and dumping them into a pitcher, I added 1/3 cup of sugar and stirred until it dissolved.  2 Earl Grey and 1 Green teabag later, I had a pitcher of tea:

After letting the tea cool, I transferred it to a large Mason jar (1.6 litres) and added the scoby and its liquid.

It is necessary to wait until everything is at room temperature, or you risk murdering your precious scoby.  I learned this the hard way when I began baking bread.  I poured scalding water onto my yeast and turned out a loaf of unleavened bread, useful as a weapon but not as sustenance.  Hot water kills yeast.

Here's the 1.6 litre jar:

Doesn't it look pretty?

And don't my new, mid-mod curtains in the background also look dazzling?  I got them in the States and they were only $22!  I found them at a TJ Maxx and when I brought them up to the cashier they were hanging out of the package, willy-nilly, which is what happens when you shop in the clearance section.  I paid for them, the cashier stuffed them into a bag, and when I arrived home two hours later, I discovered that I had not one, but two sets of linen curtains.


I briefly considered returning one set, but you know what?



Okay, I need to focus and get back to the kombucha.

Doesn't it look pretty? [ignoring curtains here].

I am reminded of jellyfish.  :-)


Because I was having so much fun, I started a second scoby in a larger, widemouth vessel.  Thanks to the marvel of technology, here's the scoby after a week of percolating:

I transferred it to a larger glass vessel (I think it's around 4 litres), ensconced both vessels in a dark cupboard and ignored them for two weeks.  It was hard, but I did it.

Day 21
My scobies are finally thick enough (to use) to brew my own kombucha!

As soon as I start brewing, I will provide an update; however, I still need to steep myself in several hours worth of research.  As a librarian, that suits me to a tea!

Optional musical pairing:  The Tea Song by Yorkshire Tea


The third part.

For more information, read here: